Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Gentlemen Only, Ladies Forbidden

Last night was the final class in my education of All Things Golf.
I had so much fun with Arin and Holly!

Since I am now an avid golfer, I thought it was about time I bought some clubs. My decision to invest in some golf clubs started at the Target Superstore.

I heart the Target Superstore, oh so much! I love how you can go in for 1 bottle of face wash and come out with a truck load of "Oh yeah, I need that" stuff. The trick to shopping at Target is working the end caps. That's where they keep all of the clearance items, and it's the clearance items that are the core foundation for my love of the Target Superstore. You just never know when you're going to need the Ron Popeil Flavor Injector or the Mini Football Crockpot - but you do know that they will always be on the end cap of isle 15A for half off. Or what about all those cutesy seasonal things - jackpot! Oooo ooo ooo and don't even get me started on the dollar section, what fun little finds those are! :) I should warn you though - if you are one of those people who have a hard time with restraint when it comes to buying Ron Popeil gadgets or outdated seasonal items, this could be a very dangerous pastime. Always remember the old saying: "Moderation in All Things."

Whoa! That was a weird tangent. :) Where was I? Oh yeah - my golf clubs. I had been looking at this cute little red set for about a week. So after our chipping class on Monday night, I took Arin to look at them. She agreed that they were indeed super cute and perfect for my skill level. I already had the box in my cart, ready to purchase when Arin decided to call her husband, Troy, just to be sure I was getting some good clubs. It was really lucky for me that Troy and his friend, Matt, are golf experts. They told me how to measure the clubs to see if they fit me and as it turns out the red set of clubs were too short. I must have longer legs than the average female golfer because all of the women's clubs were too short for me. So, Arin and I turned around to the other side of the isle to look at the men's clubs. That's when I found them - the Yellow Cougars! I was instantly attracted to them. So sleek and beautiful and yet, still something so bamf about them.

They were a perfect fit! So I unloaded the red womens set and replaced it with the slightly longer Yellow Cougars. It wasn't until I already had them in my cart that I noticed the little red clearance tag. Heck Yes!!! I really couldn't believe it at first. I was getting more clubs and a better bag for less than any other set there. Yay! :) This is exactly why I love the Target Superstore.
Hello pretty new golf clubs!

Oh and those are my new golf shoes. I really am a golfer now! :)

ps - I know that golf is not an acronym "Gentlemen Only, Ladies Forbidden". I still think it's funny and just a little bit clever though.

Here's a little bit of trivia for you: The word "golf" derives from older languages and dialects. In this case, the languages in question are medieval Dutch and old Scots. The medieval Dutch word "kolf" or "kolve" meant "club." It is believed that word passed to the Scots, whose old Scots dialect transformed the word into "golve," "gowl" or "gouf." By the 16th Century, the word "golf" had emerged.

3 reader comments:

Ryan and Amy Harvey said...

I love Target clearance!! Why to go on a great find and good luck with your new thing...GOLF.

Arin and Troy said...

We definately got a steal of a deal on your clubs! We really need to go test them out on a course next week!

Johnny Metropolis said...

I always hated the fact that women play golf. Sexist? No. Why then?

Well there is this rule that if you don't hit it past the womens tee's that you have to take your next stroke with your pants down, this of course to prove you are in fact a man... which sucks cause its always so breezy on the course, and I tend to fall backwards after swinging with my pants around my ankles.

Good on you for learning though, it's not your fault - womens tee's were around way before you started your class.