Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Nicknames

Once again Brittney's Wednesday Wonderings inspired me to write this post.

I have had many nicknames over the years, all given to me by various friends and family members. Today, we will discuss the nickname my very kind and loving mother gave to me at the tender age of 4 and how it came to be.

As far back as I can remember, I have always been an advocate of equality and, when inspired I have stood up for my rights as well as the rights of others. In the sixth grade I confronted my teacher for being racist against the little black girl in our class; when I was a senior in high school I insisted that I be allowed to take weight lifting even if I was the only girl in the class; and, just recently, I argued age discrimination when a fast food restaurant refused to sell me a kids meal.

The same kind of stuff happens at home too. My Dad and I have debated countless times about dishes being a girl's job and leaving the garbage for the boys.

When we were little, one of my mother's biggest pet peeves was having her six kids leave their shoes around the house. She got so sick of putting shoes away that she finally just started tossing them out the back door. You know, in an effort to teach us a lesson. Well, one day while I was helping my mom pick up the house, I came across a pair of her shoes. I knew what to do right away. After all, I had seen her do it a thousand times. I picked up her shoes, walked over to the front door and opened it. My mother, who was all the way across the room from me, asked me what I was doing. I smiled at her and tossed one of her shoes out on the front porch. "REBEKAH!!!" she yelled as she ran towards me. I giggled and placed the other shoe in my right hand, wound up and threw it as hard as I could. It was an awesome throw, the shoe made it all the way out to the grass. That's when it happened. At that precise moment I received the nickname that will forever be mine until the day I die. "YOU LITTLE SHIT!" I just laughed as she ran past me to fetch her shoes.

There have been numerous times that I've been called that - all unprovoked of course.

A few months after that infamous day, I attended my first day of kindergarten and when the teacher asked me what my name was I smiled and told her "my name is Little Shit." - ha ha ha, just kidding, I tease my mom about that all the time. It would have been awesome though. "And how do you spell your name?" asks the teacher. "L - i - t - t . . ." HA HA HA!

Love you mom!

2 reader comments:

Brittney said...

I can totally picture both your and your mom's faces when you threw her shoes-awesome!

Brittney & Morgan said...

I love that POST!