Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Sound of Music . . .

. . . that's all I want!
For about a year now I have had a broken stereo in my Jeep and it completely sucks! I absolutely love singing in the car. It feels natural to me to sing as loud as I can, but when it's just me in the car, listening to my iPod and other people can't hear the music - I look like a total freak and then I get embarrassed. Also - having music in your car while driving with other people are with you is some what essential. It can fill the awkward silence in a lull of conversation. Lucky for me, however, my friends are awesome and they'll just start singing even without music. So I only have to worry about that with new people.

Now, you might be asking - why is your stereo broken?

Don't worry, I will tell you. ( . . . even if it makes this post too long for Adam to read.)

During the Summer I like to take the top off of my Jeep, Hank, and during those 3.5 months I usually only put it back on in cases of extreme rainstorms. If it rains a little, no big deal, Hank has been through worse just by driving through some puddles.

However, last Summer we got one of those freak rainstorms comparable to a monsoon. I was fast asleep in my bed when the rain started. I remember waking up and thinking - maybe I should go put the top up - but sleep caught me again. Then around 3:00 am Mary came running into my room saying there was something wrong with Hank. I immediately jumped out of bed and ran outside. It was still pouring and I was getting completely drenched but I had to find out what was wrong. The stereo was going bazerk! The car was turned off but the lights on the stereo were flashing as if the car was turned on. It freaked me out a little so I tried pushing some buttons but nothing happened. Finally, I just took the face off the stereo. I figured the problem was fixed, so I just went back inside and back to sleep.

I gave it a couple of days to dry out then I tried it, but no, it didn't work. It's been broken ever since.

I don't know why it has taken me so long to get around to fixing it, but that's what I tried to do last night. I took out the old stereo and installed a new one only to find out that one of the wires was completely dead. So now, not even the new stereo works. Now, I'll have to rip out the entire dash to find out where that wire is bad so I can try to fix it. Ugh!

If any of you are experts in the art of car stereos - I could use your assistance please.

3 reader comments:

Anna said...

My car goes through little periods of time when the radio doesn't like to work. It blows.
Good luck with getting music!

Staci said...

Although I can't help you fix your stereo, I was just thinking how fun a girls night will be now that we can jump in Hank and sing ourselves silly while we are headed to....wherever a girls night will take us. FANTASTIC!! See you in less than one month!

Jaime Van Hoose Steele said...

I have a broken tape deck in my car...but at least the radio works. I'm trying to get scotty to give me his old stereo cause I'm cheap and like things free! Hopefully you'll get yours fixed soon! I'll be sure to sing super loud in your car in the mean time.