Monday, March 23, 2009

Why, Hot Dog Man? Why?

One of my favorite summer time meals has always been the Hot Dog. I love it for a couple of reasons:

1) it's simplicity - it's such a simple little item, and yet, extremely satisfying;

2) it's diversity - there are numerous ways you can eat a hot dog. Of course you've got the usual in the bun with your choice of topping, but when I was little I used to cut up the hot dogs and put them in Mac & Cheese or my Top Ramen soup. That may sound a little disgusting now, but when you're 6 years old it is quite tasty.

Almost 2 years ago, I was quite fortunate to be relocated to a building that is right across the street from the Hot Dog Man. He brings his little cart out every day, whether rain, snow or shine, only avoiding the days when absolutely no-one wants to go outside. He is a constant in my life that I have grown accustomed to. My favorite thing to order is the chili-cheese dog, and at $2.00, including tip, it just can't be beat. During the spring/summer/fall months, I'll visit him at least once a week. During the cold, winter months I usually cut back to once every other week due to the fact that I'm a naturally lazy person and would rather not go outside if it causes any sort of discomfort.

The last month or so, however, my routine has been greatly affected. This is about the time when I start the once-a-week hot dog purchase.

It was a nice, sunny day and I actually made it half-way across the street when I realized he wasn't there. I thought that was weird, but instead of dwelling on this strange occurrence, I just found lunch elsewhere. A few days later, I was feeling the unfulfilled hot dog craving again so I peeked out my window. Alas, no Hot Dog Man was to be found. This was strange, indeed. I thought, maybe he's on vacation. Hot Dog Men take vacations too, ya know. So I didn't give it another thought that week.

The next week I peeked out my window and he was there! I ran down stairs (and when I say ran, I actually mean took the elevator) and stood in line. When it was finally my turn, I ordered a chili-cheese dog with a smile on my face. "Only turkey dogs today" was his response.

What?!

Turkey dogs?!

Who the heck wants to eat a turkey dog?!

My smile melted as I said never mind and I slowly walked across the street with my head hung low. What the crap was going on here? The Hot Dog Man has never let me down like this before. I was completely distraught, but I got over it quickly. Maybe I was just too late - I'll have to get down there faster next time.

A few days later I gave it another go. Again, I ordered the chili-cheese dog.

"Only turkey dogs."

I asked him if he at least had some chili or cheese to disguise the turkey flavor? "No."

Another disappointing day. But I wasn't going to give up. The next week I went back. This time the Hot Dog Man, stopped me in the middle of the road, by yelling out "Only turkey dogs."

Why was this happening? Was he punishing me? Why, Hot Dog Man? Why?!!!!

Finally, last Friday, I tried again. I was determined to get to the bottom of this. I stood in line and when he got to me I started to order a chi- but he cut me off, "Only turkey dogs." I asked him why is he only selling turkey dogs now? Apparently his cart has been broken for the last 2 months or so and it won't heat up to the proper temperature to cook normal hot dogs, chili or cheese.

Hmmmm . . . that sucks!

So, I ordered a turkey dog with mustard and gave him a $10 tip. I'm hoping that will help fix his cart.

Now this is the part where I beg - Will all of you turkey dog loving people out there please buy the Man's turkey dogs? Please! I really need my regular hot dogs back.

Thank you.

ps - No. I didn't eat the turkey dog. I ended up giving it to my health-conscious boss. I've tried the turkey dog before and I just can't do it again.

3 reader comments:

KateMarie said...

I LOVE hot dogs too!

I used to work at Winder Dairy while I was in high school and ate at least 1 a day, as well as a pint of chocolate milk. Yeah, very very healthy!

Good luck with hot dog man. If I'm downtown I will pay him a visit.

Cameron's Corner said...

Dude! Where did you get that photo? I want that exact hot dog right now.

Staci said...

There is nothing worse than getting your heart set on a processed meat and have that taken away from you! Well, this summer we'll pick up a whole CostCo pack of the good stuff for grilling - the poor man's BBQ!