Monday, October 20, 2008

Cooking with Ace

Last Thursday Mary, Arin and I had a fun little girls night out. We went to a cooking class at the Ace Hardware. Yes, I said Ace Hardware. It was so much fun! Okay, okay, maybe I'm being a little too excited about it - the class was about four hours long, three and a half of which we were waiting for food.


My friend, Lindsey, told me about the cooking classes at the Ace Hardware. She was constantly coming to work with awesome new recipes and every time she did I thought to myself, I really should go to some of these classes with her. Well, it's been about 2 years and I finally went to one - the Dutch Oven Cooking Class with Chef Todd.

Mary, Arin and I showed up about 10 minutes early for the class and it was already packed! I am willing to bet that some of those ladies camped out all day to get a good seat for this class. Chef Todd was busy making a couple of different recipes and chatting with some of the other ladies like they were old friends. The class hadn't even started yet and we felt like we were already behind. Over the next three hours we learned how to make several dishes (I'll be posting them on my food blog.) It was torture sitting there for so long with all the tempting smells, our tummy's shouting with hunger pains and out butts going numb from sitting on those uncomfortable folding chairs. Poor little Stockton Wyatt Jeffs was going crazy in Arin's stomach. I was about to run across the street to get some tacos when Chef Todd finally said it was time to eat . . . and about a half hour later, we actually did! :)

We were the first out of our chairs to race to the food line, but Slowy McSlow Pants was at the end of our row, blocking us from our meal. Arin kept pushing Mary and Mary pushed me and I seriously almost pushed McSlow Pants. I mean, come on! Doesn't he know there is a pregnant lady behind him? Move!

We were stuck in the line about 20 people back and I was still getting little pushes but I couldn't go anywhere. Luckily, the lady in charge saw how Arin and the little bundle of joy inside of her were about to turn Hannibal Lector on us and start gnawing on someone's left arm, so she let us start a new line down the back of the table.

The next 12 minutes were a blur of delicious ribs, potatoes, broccoli and desserts. There was no time for savoring each individual dish. No, no, there was only time for shoveling, stuffing and swallowing. It was delicious though. Some of the best ribs I have ever had!

Overall we had a great time and I'm pretty sure we'll do it again, but next time we'll have to sneak some tacos in our purses.

2 reader comments:

Arin and Troy said...

OH MY GOSH!!! Just reliving that night is torture for me!! I can't remember the last time I was that hungry and desperate for food! It wasnt until the next day that I was actually able to reflect on the food that we ate and realize how good it actually was! The ribs were AMAZING and the mashed potatoes were the best I ever had! Oh so good!

Johnny Metropolis said...

Learn to cook ribs, and pick up some lumber all in one place.

Sounds like heaven.